MLB and Nippon have new posting system: Tanaka is now an option

srock

New posting system in place with the Nippon league!

$20 million cap on the 'fee'.

If a player is posted (Tanaka is not posted at this time) every team is notified at the fee to be paid to the posting team. So its not a blind bid anymore.

For 30 days, any team can negotiate a contract with the player. If an agreement is reached, the player is signed and the posting team gets the fee in installments.

Well done my MLB. Its much easier for teams on budgets to aquire a player being posted. However, give the $20 million cap I could see less players being posted.

I do think this puts Tanaka on the table for the Orioles. At the very least, they can go negotiate on terms similar to the FA on the market.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New posting system in place with the Nippon league!

$20 million cap on the 'fee'.

If a player is posted (Tanaka is not posted at this time) every team is notified at the fee to be paid to the posting team. So its not a blind bid anymore.

For 30 days, any team can negotiate a contract with the player. If an agreement is reached, the player is signed and the posting team gets the fee in installments.

Well done my MLB. Its much easier for teams on budgets to aquire a player being posted. However, give the $20 million cap I could see less players being posted.

I do think this puts Tanaka on the table for the Orioles. At the very least, they can go negotiate on terms similar to the FA on the market.

They got rid of JJ to save a few million. They sure in hell aren't going to shuck out 20 million to talk to someone.

They got rid of JJ to save a few million. They sure in hell aren't going to shuck out 20 million to talk to someone.

This is NOT how it works.

Anyone can talk to the player. You only pay the posting fee if you sign him.

Starting with the day after a player is posted and continuing for 30 days, any big league team willing to pay the fee may attempt to sign the player. A major league team pays the posting fee only if it signs the player, and the fee is then payable in installments, with the timing dependent on the amount.

Linky espn

Duquette has unequivocally said we won't be in on Tanaka assuming a $20 mm posting fee. I heard him say this on the radio when he was interviewed during the winter meetings.

That is simply crazy talk fro Duquette. What if it is a $20 million posting fee? At least its a known quantity. You just take it out of the contract your willing to offer the player.

Only the signing team pays the posting fee.

The Orioles, however, have a self-imposed policy against doing business with Japanese teams. For some reason, they see a difference between a trade involving cash considerations with a U.S. team and such a transaction with a Japanese team.

Duquette has unequivocally said we won't be in on Tanaka assuming a $20 mm posting fee. I heard him say this on the radio when he was interviewed during the winter meetings.

Buster Olney, in a deleted tweet, said yesterday there was little reason for any of the 30 teams not to post since it's refundable and was good P.R. Make that 29 teams, Buster.

I heard him say the Orioles would not pay any posting fee. That they did not believe in the process.

I heard him say the Orioles would not pay any posting fee. That they did not believe in the process.

I don't disagree. Put the funds into a player that doesn't require a posting fee. No one that's come out of Japan, sans Ichiro in his first handful of seasons (before his age caught up to him a bit) has been a guy that couldn't be replaced by other players on the market.

There is absolutely zero reason not to bid on this guy with the new rules. You only pay the posting fee if you sign the guy. If you negoiate and see he is paid too much you back off but to not attempt to sign someone of this quality is silly. The new rules are great for everyone except the player. It is just like he is a free agent but 20 million dollars of his contract goes to his old team.

I have no idea why Angelos could be opposed to the posting system. Does he not want agents to be paid either?

Archived